The spring gardening season is upon us again, and I am blessed with a plethora of mint leaves at my disposal. This fantastic opportunity presented me with the chance to revisit one of my favorite flavor combinations — mint, chocolate, and coffee. Here is a chilled mint mocha — refreshing, sweet, and deliciously decadent! Enjoy!
• 1/2 cup chilled coffee
• 1 & 1/2 tablespoons minty simple syrup — you can use your favorite or follow the recipe included below
• 1 tablespoon dark chocolate syrup
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 large glass halfway filled with ice cubes — you can use traditional ice, or combine 1 tablespoon of the minty syrup with 1/2 cup of coffee and make your ice cubes from the mixture
1) For a wonderful chilled glass, place your glass in the freezer at least 1 hour (or the night before) you are preparing your mocha.
2) Chill your minty syrup.
3) Fill your glass 1/2 way with ice. Add the chocolate sauce and minty syrup. Pour milk into your glass until it is about halfway filled, and stir.
4) Top your glass off with the chilled coffee and stir again.
Simple minty syrup
Combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup of mint leaves in a small saucepan. Heat until the mixture boils, stirring constantly, ensuring the sugar dissolves. Leave the mixture over a low flame for 2 more minutes and then allow it to steep for an additional 30 minutes. Strain into an airtight container and refrigerate.