Love a good mojito? While this recipe is espresso-based, rather than rum-based, the impact is the same — a delicious summer-ready, refreshing drink with a unique twist. Best of all? It is easy to make and incorporates fresh mint and limes. If you want to throw in some rum, why not? I won’t tell 😉!!!
• 1 ounce of simple mint syrup1
• 3 lime wedges
• 2 ounces of espresso or 4 ounces of strong coffee
• 1 ounce of rum — optional
• Glass filled with ice2
• Fresh mint and lime for garnish
1. Brew 2 ounces of espresso or 4 ounces of strong coffee and refrigerate until cold.
2. Pour the mint syrup into the bottom of your glass and add 2 – 3 lime wedges. Muddle this mixture together by pressing down on the lime with the wide edge of your muddling tool. Twist to crush the limes, thoroughly combining them with the mint syrup. Continue until the lime wedges have released all juice.
3. If you are adding rum, do so now by pouring it on top of the muddled lime wedges.
4. Fill your glass with ice and pour your chilled espresso or coffee on top.
5. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and a lime wedge.
1You can use your favorite mint syrup or follow the simple recipe included in this blog entry to create your own. All you need is fresh mint leaves, sugar, and water!
2Use coffee ice cubes or whiskey stones to reduce the dilution of your drink.