The fall season fills many coffee lovers’ minds with thoughts of pumpkin spice yumminess. While I am in no means denying the appeal of a perfect pumpkin spice latte, caramel is my autumnal confection of choice. To celebrate the luscious, deep, rich, sugary goodness of caramel, I have concocted this easy to prepare salted caramel mocha. Enjoy!
• 1 cup of strong coffee. Colombian Campesina is an excellent choice as it will stand up nicely to the density and rich chocolate flavor of this drink
• 2 1/2 tablespoons salted caramel sauce (you can use your favorite caramel sauce, or follow this simple recipe). Add one-two pinches of salt to the sauce
• 4 ounces milk
• 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon heavy cream
• Whipped cream for garnish (*optional)
1) Combine caramel sauce, cocoa, heavy cream, sugar, and milk into a small saucepan and heat until the ingredients are dissolved.
2) Add your coffee and whisk the mixture until frothy. (You can use an immersion blender or a standard blender.)
3) Pour the frothy mixture into a preheated cup of your choice.
4) Top with whipped cream (if you like) and drizzle the remaining caramel sauce on top.