I love the flavors of autumn, and nothing says fall to me quite like candy apples. This sweet seasonal treat brings childhood memories rushing to the forefront. Today’s recipe deconstructs the childhood classic into a sweet, hot, and decidedly adult coffee treat. Enjoy!
- 1 ounce stewed candy apple syrup (apples, sugar, cherry syrup, and cinnamon. Instructions below)
- 2 ounces espresso brewed coffee — if you want to up the apple flavor of your drink, Apple Crisp coffee is an excellent choice!
- 4 – 6 ounces milk steamed and frothed
- A drizzle of caramel sauce (optional garnish)
- Red food coloring (optional if you want your latte to be candy apple red!)
- A sprinkle of hot pepper flakes (If you want to make it a red hot candy apple latte!)
1.) Pour 1 ounce of candy apple syrup into the bottom of your cup. If you enjoy the flavor of Red Hots, feel free to sprinkle some hot pepper into your cup now.
2.) Add 2 ounces of freshly brewed espresso and stir.
3.) If you want a cherry red latte add a few drops of red food coloring to your milk. Next, froth your milk. Fill your cup, holding back the foam while pouring. Spoon a layer of foam on top of your drink.
4.) Alternatively, you can drizzle some caramel sauce or maraschino cherry syrup across the top of your plain frothed milk.
Stewed Candy apples syrup
Core, peel, and pit 2 apples. Combine the apples, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry syrup, and 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let the contents come to a boil and continue to heat on a high flame for 5 minutes. Reduce the flame to low and allow the syrup to simmer for an additional 10 – 15 minutes (until the syrup has thickened). Allow the syrup to cool slightly and strain. If you are not using all your syrup, refrigerate the remainder in an airtight container.