This is The Queen Bean’s take on a traditional Mexican mocha. It is equally delicious spiked or alcohol-free. Chocolatey and spicy with a cinnamon edge and a little heat, this coffee creation is sure to bring an extra dash of holiday spirit to your next party or chilly holiday evening. Enjoy!
• 1 cup of strong coffee — Organically Grown Colombian Campesina is an excellent choice as its inherent tones, full body, and richness will complement the chocolate perfectly without getting overwhelmed.
• 1 vanilla bean
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
• A pinch of salt
• 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
• 4 ounces of milk
• A dash of chili powder (optional)
• 1- 2 ounce(s) Tia Maria (optional — a wonderful liqueur combining rum, vanilla, and sugar)
• Whipped cream (optional)
• Decorative sugar, cocoa, or chocolate shavings for garnish
1) Scrape the insides of 1 vanilla bean into a saucepan and combine it with coffee, sugar, cinnamon, chili powder (if using), salt, cocoa, and milk. Heat on medium until the sides of the liquid begin to bubble.
2) Mix the contents of the saucepan, either with an immersion blender or whisk until the liquid is thick and foamy.
3) Pour your Tia Maria into a preheated mug (optional) and add the contents of the saucepan into the mug. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle decorative sugar and/or chocolate shavings onto your mocha.
5) Serve immediately and enjoy!