Iced and blended with a touch of apricot and vanilla, this frappe is sure to chill you out on those hot-hot summer days! Today I am using Organically Grown Peru Dark Roast coffee for my frappe. The subtle apricot and vanilla tones of the coffee perfectly compliment the home-made apricot syrup. Best of all this coffee is Smithsonian Certified shade-grown and Bird Friendly. It is also a featured single origin for August 2019 at TheQueenBean.com. To learn more about this wonderful bean click here. To read up on more coffees that are good for the earth, good for the animals, and good for you, be sure to check out our sustainability series.
• 2 cups ice
• 1 cup Organically Grown Peru Dark coffee
• 1 cup milk
• 3 ounces vanilla apricot syrup (use your favorite or try the recipe below)
• whipped cream
1) Combine 2.5 ounces of syrup with milk, coffee, and ice in your blender.
2) Blend until thoroughly mixed.
3) Pour the mixture into the tall glass of your choice.
4) Top with whipped cream and drizzle the remaining syrup on the top. Garnish with apricot slices.
Apricot vanilla syrup
In a small saucepan combine 1 cup each, water and sugar. Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. The solution should appear clear, not “foggy”. Chop 2 cups of apricots into small pieces (approximately 4 medium-sized apricots). Add your apricots into the water mixture and bring the contents to a boil. Allow it to boil for approximately 10 minutes — until the mixture is a nice apricot color. Reduce the heat to low, add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and simmer until the sauce thickens (an additional 10-15 minutes). Once the mixture cools to room temperature, strain into an air-tight container. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour if using for a chilled drink.