Coffee Jelly is a wonderfully refreshing dessert that you can whip up in minutes. The recipe below is delicious but basic. For the ambitious among you, we encourage you to create your own variations such as layering the coffee jelly with orange or lime jelly, using it as a base for an iced jelly coffee, or dressing it up with exotic spices.
For the jelly, you need the following:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of cold water OR 1/2 cups whisky plus 1 tablespoon of cold water
- 2 cups of fresh coffee
- 1/4 cup or less of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 2: In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 tablespoon of cold water and allow it to set for at least one minute.
Step 4: Whisk the gelatin into your coffee.
Step 5: Whisk the coffee mixture and vanilla extract into your sugar water.
Whipped cream topping
For the whipped cream topping, you need
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream or yogurt (if you are looking for a healthier version!)
- Spices to sprinkle on top of the whipped cream
Step 1: Using an electric mixer, whip the dark brown sugar for 5-10 seconds, until the sugar resembles coarse sand.
Step 2: Add the heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form.