As you may have surmised honey is one of my favorite coffee additives. Having known health benefits and natural sweetness it is, in my opinion, the best alternative to sugar for your sweetened coffee drinks. This recipe is a great alternative to the popular iced caramel latte. Sweet and flavorful, this drink is sure to have you coming back for more. Enjoy!
• 1 cup pre-brewed and chilled coffee (a coffee with natural honey tones such as Costa Rica la Pastora is a perfect option)
• 1 – 2 tablespoons of honey (adjust to your desired level of sweetness)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar if you want some extra sweetness)
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon of flaky salt (sea salt and Himalayan salt are both great choices)
• A dash of AllSpice (optional) * 1
1.) Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl.
2.) Use an immersion blender to thoroughly combine the mixture. If you do not have an immersion blender you can briskly whisk, or shake your latte in a sealed mason jar.
3.) Pour the blended latte over ice. If you want to add a bit of panache, gently roll the edge of your glass over some plated honey and lightly salt the rim before filling it.
1 AllSpice adds a zesty earthiness to the drink. If you decide to use it go sparingly, and adjust to your own taste.
What is the nutritional value ?
It would vary depending on the kind of honey and milk used, For this recipe, 1 tablespoon of honey contains 64 calories and 17 grams of sugar, including fructose, glucose, maltose, and sucrose. I used low-fat milk which has about 45 calories for this size serving. There are less than 2 calories/cup of brewed coffee. I hope this answers your question!