Always up for a challenge, I have been tasked with creating a flaming Spanish coffee. This dangerous cup is made with coffee, rum, spirits, spices, and whipped cream. If you are up for some hotness, grab a fire extinguisher and check out the video below to witness my attempt at NOT burning down the house!
• 2 ounces rum (151 is suggested, but Bacardi clear is preheated and used here)
• 2 ounces Kahlua (or other liqueur)
• 1/2 cup of coffee
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 pinch each of cinnamon and nutmeg
• Whipped cream
• A heat resistant glass or mug
• Something to ignite your drink with
1) Rim your cocktail glass by gently rolling the rim over a shallow plate covered in lemon juice and brown sugar. This will create a lovely sugar-coated rim.
2) Add rum to your glass. A high proof rum, such as 151 is suggested. If you do not have that available, preheat your rum so that it will catch fire, but be careful to ensure that nothing flammable is nearby. Tilt your glass at a 45-degree angle and ignite the rum.
3) Swirl the glass so that you caramelize the sugared rim. Set the glass down.
4) Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg into the glass. Even if your fire goes out the lingering heat will help blend the ingredients.
5) Add the liqueur (Kahlua or the liqueur of choice) and coffee to your glass. The flame should be out by now.
6) Cover the cocktail with whipped cream and finish with a garnish of your choice (decorative sugar, chocolate flakes, cocoa, or citrus rind are all excellent choices.)
7) Allow the cocktail to completely cool before you drink it. (Burnt tongues are no fun!!!)
*With thanks to the spruce eats for their lovely recipe: