Juicy, succulent strawberries layered with home-made syrup, covered with luscious vanilla ice cream and topped off with steaming espresso. This delicious dessert, inspired by the fresh fruit at my local market is sure to get your taste buds tingling!
• Strawberry syrup (*make your own — recipe included below)
• 4 Sliced strawberries
• 1 Scoop vanilla ice cream (or your flavor of choice, coffee or strawberry are great options!)
• Double shot of espresso ( 2 ounces). For extra strawberry flavor try some Chocolate Covered Strawberry coffee. I used Espresso Joe for this recipe.
1) Create one layer of sliced strawberries on the bottom of a clear cup. Place the berries seeded side out.
2) Cover the fresh berries with one scoop of ice cream.
3) Cover the ice cream with strawberry syrup ( 2 -3 tablespoons).
4) Pour a double shot of espresso, over the ice cream. I brewed mine in a stovetop espresso maker, for brewing tips check out our blog on brewing stovetop espresso.
5) Top with fresh strawberries.
Directions on how to make your own strawberry syrup
In a small saucepan combine 1 cup each, water and sugar. Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. The solution should appear clear, not “foggy”. Chop 2 cups of strawberries into small pieces. Mix your berries into the water mixture and bring the contents to a boil. Allow it to boil for approximately 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the sauce thickens (an additional 10-15 minutes). Strain into an air-tight container, use what you need now and refrigerate the remainder for later use.
That looks delightful – there’s lots of strawberries available these days. Can’t wait to try it!