My childhood summers echoed with trips to one of the last remaining local drugstores still serving chocolate malted milkshakes at the counter. This beverage will always remind me of that summertime feeling of long sun-kissed days and nights dripping with possibilities. The malted milkshake has a long history in the USA, made popular as a staple at Walgreens drug store in the 1920s, it soon could be found at many soda fountains and ice cream parlors nationwide. Here is my coffee filled take on the traditional chocolate malted milkshake. Enjoy!
• 1/2 cup coffee (pre-brewed and chilled) — for even more chocolate flavor use Belgian Chocolate coffee
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 large scoops of chocolate ice cream
• 2 ounces vodka (*optional for those who enjoy a boozy milkshake!)
• Whipped cream
• 1/2 cup malted milk powder
• Malted milk balls for garnish
1) Combine malted milk powder and ice cream in your blender.
2) If including vodka, add it now.
3) Combine the coffee with the milk and slowly add this combination into the blender, blending in between each addition.
4) Continue blending until a nice creamy consistency is achieved.
5) Pour into a large glass and top with whipped cream and halved malted milk balls.
Leave a Reply