Rhubarb season is here and I, for one am enamored of that slightly tart, super sweet vegetable. Coveted for its delicious contribution to pies worldwide, rhubarb is also a great health booster. High in both vitamins K and C, and rich in beta-carotenes, rhubarb is one healthy addition to your diet! Today I prepared a sweet iced rhubarb pie latte. I suggest sipping this slowly in the garden on a hot summer day. Enjoy!
• 1 and 1/4 ounces of chilled rhubarb syrup (*recipe below)
• 2 ounces of espresso or 4 ounces of strong brewed coffee — I used TheQueenBean.com Espresso Joe
• 1 teaspoon each allspice and cinnamon (if you prefer a sweeter drink, use 1/2 teaspoon each)
• 1 tablespoon hazelnut syrup (I used 1883 Maison Routin Roasted Hazelnut Syrup — you can substitute Frangelico liqueur if you desire a little kick!)
• 1 large glass filled with crushed ice
• 6 ounces of milk
• Freshly whipped cream
1) Combine your cinnamon, allspice, and chilled milk into a cocktail shaker. Give it a quick shake.
2) Add the rhubarb syrup, hazelnut syrup (or Frangelico), and espresso into the shaker. Shake for 1 to 2 minutes.
3) Pour your mixture into a large pre-chilled glass filled with crushed ice.
4) Top with whipped cream.
* Rhubarb syrup
For 3 ounces of syrup, combine 3 ounces of water, 3 ounces of sugar, and 1 cup of cubed rhubarb in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer until the rhubarb breaks apart. This should take approximately 20 minutes. Set the mixture aside to cool, then strain and refrigerate in an airtight container for later use.