Here is TheQueenBean’s take on a Barraquito, a lovely coffee cocktail primarily found in Tenerife, on the Canary Islands. This drink is typically served layered. When made carefully the result is as many as 5 distinct layers — as beautiful to look at as it is tasty to drink! Enjoy!
- 2 ounces espresso
- 4 ounces whole milk frothed
- 2 ounces Tia Maria (Or your favorite vanilla flavored liquor, a lighter liquor will help you to achieve the 5 layers)
- 2 tablespoons condensed milk
- 1 lemon peel, or the zest thereof (with all the white scraped off)
- Cinnamon or cocoa powder to garnish
1.) Add your condensed milk to the bottom of a clear preheated (double walled if possible) glass. An easy way to preheat your glass is to run it under hot water.
2.) Layer on the Tia Maria followed by the lemon. If using a peel, try to remove as much of the white as possible. This will help to reduce any added bitterness in your cup. Do not stir! This will help you to get that beautiful, layered drink.
3.) Add the espresso
4.) Gently spoon the desired amount of frothed milk on top
5.) Lightly sprinkle cinnamon atop the frothed milk and serve with a lemon wedge