There are not many things as satisfying as enjoying a sip of cool iced coffee, particularly in hot summer months. Nitro coffees are one of the most delicious ones around, and adding the highly protein-rich beef jerky increases the taste manifold. Nitro coffee is cold brew coffee infused with nitrogen gas and can be easily prepared at home, as can beef jerky. Fancy equipment is not needed. You only need the right ingredients, an oven, and dehydrators for preparing beef jerky.
First, you need to prepare the beef jerky as it needs to be stored for a while before use.
- 3 lbs beef top roast, rump roast, or London broil, thinly sliced
- 1 c gluten-free soya sauce
- ½ c Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Remove the excess fat from the slab of beef and cut the beef into into 1/8th inch slices. Place them in a large zip bag.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bag and mix well. Then allow it to chill for at least 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees F. Place three large rimmed baking sheets lined with foil and a metal rack over the foil on each pan.
- Place the beef in a single layer on the baking sheets and bake for 3-4 hours. After 3 hours, check if the beef is fully cooked.
- Dehydrate and dry the beef jerky using a dehydrator for beef jerky and then store the jerky in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.
Next, you need to prepare the nitro coffee. Making cold brew at home is very easy.
- 8 ounces whole coffee beans
- 8 cups of water
- Coffee grinder
- 2 jars or pitchers with lids
- Whip cream dispenser
- Nitro charger
- Fine-mesh strainer
- Grind the coffee beans in a grinder until they are well-ground. If the coffee grinder has less capacity, the coffee needs to be ground in batches.
- Mix the ground coffee with water in the jar. Stir this mixture until the coffee and water are thoroughly blended.
- Steep the coffee for at least 14 hours at room temperature. The longer the steep time, the stronger the cold brew.
- Once the coffee has brewed, filter out the ground coffee using a cheesecloth.
- Place a mesh-strainer with the cheesecloth placed inside it over a large cup and pour the coffee through the strainer.
- Taste the cold brew and dilute it with water if it is too strong. Store the cold brew in the refrigerator.
- Pour this chilled coffee into the whipped cream dispenser.
- Screw on the Nitro charger to introduce the Nitrogen gas into the mix.
- Vigorously shake the whipped cream dispenser so that the Nitrogen gas diffuses throughout the coffee.
- Place the dispenser in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to ensure the gas dissolves completely in the brewed coffee.
- Serve the cold brew nitro coffee.
In a tall glass, pour about ½ cup of cold brew over 1 cup of ice and top it with ½ cup of cold filtered water and stir it properly. You can also add sweet cream on the top.
Once the coffee is ready simply place the beef jerky on a stick over the glass. Now, your evening snack is ready to be served. The coffee has very little bitterness and acidity making it both healthy and delicious. All you need are the right ingredients and proper equipment for preparing the coffee and the dehydrator for the beef jerky.
About the author: Adriana Hamilton is a content marketer at a Wellfed company. A writer by day and a reader by night, she loves working in the ever-changing world of the food Industry and really enjoys simplifying complicated nutrition messages so they are easy to understand and inspiring people to live healthfully one decision at a time.