These exceptional cookies combine two of my go-to favorite recipes: cream cheese shortbread and chocolate espresso cookies. The distinctive flavor of the dough is reminiscent of fresh rugelach, elevated through the addition of espresso laced chocolate. The creation of these beautiful swirled cookies is considerably easier than it looks. All it takes is a little patience and some tender loving care. Enjoy!
• 1 & 1/2 cups butter (softened and cut into small pieces)
• 8 ounces cream cheese
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 cup flour
• 2 & 1/4 teaspoons espresso powder
• 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted
• 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
*makes 24 cookies
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Mix the butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a blender until well combined.
3) Add in the flour 1/4 cup at a time. Continue mixing until your dough is smooth.
4) Cut the dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic and refrigerate.
5) Add the melted chocolate, cocoa, and espresso powder to the remaining batter. Mix until well blended.
6) Place the chocolate dough between 2 pieces of wax paper and roll it out into an approximate 9×14 inch rectangle. Repeat this procedure for the plain dough.
7) Chill both flattened rolled out dough in the refrigerator for an hour.
8) Remove the dough from the refrigerator and layer the chocolate dough on top of the plain dough. Use a rolling pin to press firmly on the layered dough so that the layers stick together.
9) Roll the dough very slowly, starting from the short end, into a tight jelly roll. Be patient, and press firmly so that the dough sticks together, Refrigerate the rolled dough for one more hour.
10) Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut it into 1/4 inch cookie slices. Place the cookie slices on a cooking paper covered cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
11) Check the cookies and bake for an additional 3 minutes if needed. Once the plain edges appear slightly golden you will know the cookies are done.
12) Allow the cookies to completely cool on a wire rack.
With thanks to:
Favorite Brand Name Recipes