“To me, the smell of fresh-made coffee is one of the world’s greatest inventions.”
— Hugh Jackman
The many health benefits associated with drinking coffee are often lauded. But did you know that studies suggest just smelling coffee may help reduce stress, increase positive thoughts, and even increase problem-solving abilities? By making your own coffee scented candle using upcycled ingredients, you can fill your house with that wonderful, energizing, coffee odor whenever you like. Here is an easy DIY method for a wonderful coffee cup candle. Let the mental benefits commence!
What you will need
• 1 coffee mug
• 12 ounces of candle wax — purchase wax, or recycle used candles. For this DIY, I used natural soy wax
• 3 – 6 tablespoons of dried coffee grounds
• Wooden stick (skewer or chopstick)
1) Center the wick on the inside bottom of the coffee mug. Melt a small amount of wax and pour it in the bottom of the mug. Make sure the wick is centered in the wax. Let it dry — you can place it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to shorten this process.
2) Level the skewer across the top of the mug and tie the wick around it. This will keep the wick centered as you fill your candle.
3) Heat 12 ounces of wax in a saucepan on a low flame until melted. Click here for a great resource on how to add color or essential oils to your wax, if you are so inclined.
4) Pour the wax into the mug approximately 1 ounce at a time, Sprinkling a layer of coffee grounds into the wax in between each pour. The coffee grounds should be added towards the edge of the mug, avoiding the wick. You can use a funnel or sprinkle the wax with your fingers.
5) Repeat step 4 until you have filled your mug. The amount of wax needed will vary based on mug size.
6) Once the wax has cooled, remove the skewer and trim the wick to the desired length.
7) Light your candle and enjoy that wonderful coffee aroma. (Be safe! Never leave an open flame unattended!)